Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Beef Enchilada Stuffed Poblanos

Warning-Yankee cooking with poblano peppers and enchilada sauce-proceed with caution:@)
Now that the legal stuff is out of the way, what a great twist on stuffed peppers! I saw this recipe and knew I'd have to try it soon. Since it called for enchilada sauce I chose poblano peppers and while Louanne's sauce sounds amazing, I don't have an immersion blender so I used a simple recipe I've made before.
Let me tell you, this recipe creates lots of great smells in your kitchen! 

I just sliced a small wedge from the top of the peppers and then ran a slit to the bottom 
so I could clean and stuff them. The pepper I removed was diced and added to the filling.

Kick the can folks, homemade enchilada sauce is soooo easy!
Top each pepper with a little sauce and add the rest to the baking dish.

I melted Marble Jack cheese under the broiler for a couple minutes.
Oh yes, life is good!
Beef Enchilada Stuffed Poblanos
Sauce:
1 Tblsp chili powder
1/4 C A/P flour-I cut back to 3 Tblsp-sub a low carb friendly flour if desired
2 C water or broth-I used water with 2 tsp Chicken Better Than Bouillon
1 tsp cider vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp oregano, crushed between fingers
1/4 tsp ground cumin
A couple heaping tablespoons of tomato sauce-optional
salt to taste

Peppers:
5 (5"-ish) poblanos, cleaned-seeded and deveined 
1 lb ground beef
1 medium onion, diced 
1 medium green bell pepper, diced-I used leftovers and had a little red pepper too
Half of a 3" jalapeno, cleaned and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
salt to taste
Cheese for topping, Monterey Jack, Cheddar or your favorite Mexican brand/blend-How much? As much as you'd like:@)

Sauce: 
1. Whisk everything together in a 2 quart pot, heat stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat. Note: Don't be surprised if you have to add a little water to thin it once it cooks and sits.
Peppers:
1. Brown ground beef, drain off excess fat.
2. Add everything except cheese and cook till veggies are just tender, 8-10 minutes.
3. Add about 3/4 C sauce to the meat and stir well.
4. Stuff the peppers with meat mixture.
5. Add some sauce to baking dish, add peppers, drizzle sauce over each pepper and fill dish with the rest. 
6. Cover dish and bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, and turn oven to broiler function. Take cover off of peppers and add cheese. 
8. Melt cheese under broiler for a minute or two, until melted and yummy.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

I'm joining:
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday

29 comments:

  1. WOW LYNN!!! See I was RIGHT ABOUT THOSE PEPPERS,hehe... I just couldn't get enough of your other recipe, I had to GIANT SIZE IT! I am definitely making these...
    Keep these goodies coming!!!!!!!
    Big Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your warning! As a young wife I cut and cleaned very hot peppers without rubber gloves and got blisters all over my fingertips and cuticles. I slept with my hands in an ice bath!
    I am keeping this recipe. My daughter and son-in-law will LOVE this and me for making it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious, Lynn. I always eat the stuffing and leave the pepper (used to drive my mother crazy).. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sounds scrumptious! DO Tell, when is the next time you'll be serving these peppers?? I'll be there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmmm.. I would have to take my Zegerid before eating this. I love anything pepper related.. but peppers do not like me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking if I used ground turkey or chicken breast and left the cheese off that this wouldf fit into my healthy diet plan, so I may just try this! Looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is GOOD! I'd love one of these along with a slice of pig sty cake plus a slice of the red, white, and blue one too. LOL
    Big smiles on the patriotic feather tree. Looks like you are gearing up for the 4th. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I am really hungry! - I like stuffed peppers but as my mouth has grown up and I have learned to love spicy and hot, I am always looking for ways to turn it up...this will certainly do it.

    Thanks again for taking the time to explain everything so well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my ...another recipe that has me drooling even though it is after midnight here...lol! I am a hot pepper devotee and will have to make these very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look so good! I could eat them right now and it's not even 3:00 am. My daughter makes these but stuffs them with lamb. Really good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful dish -- I love stuffed peppers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love stuffed peppers but these look like da bomb! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me with the stuffed peppers. Then, you added the enchilada sauce. THEN you had to go and melt some colby jack on top of it? I'm not supposed to be hungry for hot stuff in the mid morning.
    This looks delicious. My husband would be nuts about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my Lord, Lynn! These look delicious! We love mexican food and even after breakfast, my mouth is watering.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look fantastic! You are coming up with such awesome recipes. I have to make this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynn I'm such a wuss that I never eat peppers, but darn if those don't look good!!!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know that if I were in Mexico, they would have no problem putting this on the menu for breakfast, so I think that I am ok with salivating at 8:30 in the morning and wishing I had a bite. I a definitely pinning this so that I have your sauce recipe. I always hate canned sauce for enchiladas, except the green sauce by Las Palmas. Yours looks delicious. Thanks for a fabulous looking recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lynn, I am lol about your Yankee disclaimer, this looks like a mouth watering recipe to me, we would just love it! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice twist! They really look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMGoodness, Lynn, those peppers look sooooo good! My family would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks like a fairly easy recipe for the sauce. I never made it before and I love Mexican food so thanks for sharing. As soon as the weather cools down a bit I'll be trying it. Get the icey drinks out it's going to be a few hot days here.
    ~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks great! I will have to make this with real homemade enchilada sauce!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks delish! Can you clarify the sauce recipe? What kind of broth do you suggest and what kind of bullion (chicken/beef/veg)? Also, there is no tomato sauce in the sauce? I have never seen a sauce like this...I'm curious to try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either chicken or beef, I use chicken, and no tomato sauce. I think the red color comes from the chili powder. Hope you love it if you try it:@)

      Delete
  24. I cant tell you how many times I have used this recipe. Its a huge hit in my house and with friends and family. Thank you!!! So delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!