Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Amish Mustard Pickled Eggs

How about whipping up a batch of these Amish Mustard Pickled Eggs for Father's Day! They are something totally different from the Amish Pickled Red Beet Eggs I made at Easter. I read the recipe originates in Ohio from the Amish and love the great natural yellow color! This pic is after marinating for three days.
Pin It
I can taste the mustard and there's no doubt it's a pickled egg:@)
They would make an amazing egg salad sandwich or a colorful addition diced on top of potato salad.
I made a three egg test batch in a pint jar with a half recipe of the brine.
Five eggs would easily fit into a pint jar.

Pickled Eggs with Mustard-from gazette.com
2 C white vinegar
2 Tblsp mild mustard-I used plain yellow prepared mustard
1/2 C water
1 C sugar
1 Tblsp salt
1 Tblsp celery seed
1 Tblsp mustard seed
6 whole cloves-the spice
1/8 tsp turmeric-optional-my addition to bump up the yellow color naturally
2 onions, sliced thin
12 hard boiled eggs, peeled
  1. Add everything except onions and eggs to sauce pan, bring to a boil, mix well (I used a whisk), reduce to simmer for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from heat and cool.
  3. Layer onions and eggs in jar, cover with pickle brine. 
  4. Cover with lid, place in fridge, let marinate at least 24 hours.
Have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
Transformation Thursday
Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits

23 comments:

  1. These look amazing...Mr. Sweet is the egg eater in our family so he would LOVE these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red ones I've seen, yellow like this is new to me. I think I'll try these...so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd eaten every thing imaginable pickled but this one has been under the radar for me. I do love beet pickled eggs and just might have to give this one a try as well.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. my father would have liked these. eek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of Amish Pickled Eggs, but they sound good. When we lived in Ohio, we would camp near Amish country, at Mohican State Park, and we loved to drive through the area and see their beautiful farms. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Lynn. Amish food is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never tried pickled eggs but the do look interesting.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
  7. They would make for a wonderful egg salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pickled eggs but never imagine mustard pickled eggs. I am interested!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mustard --my husband does not--so if I made these they would be all mine, Lynn. That would not be a bad thing -- they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen these. My family loves pickled eggs with beets, maybe I'll run these by them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When you say 6 cloves in the ingredients, do you mean 6 actual cloves (as in the spice) or 6 garlic cloves? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful! My son makes them often, without onions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How long do they last in the fridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry but I really don't know. I just make a few eggs at a time so they don't last long.

      Delete
  14. We make these often now! My kids love them!!! Super easy and a great way to use up extra farm eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! New to pickled eggs and these look amazing. When you say add the pickle brine I am assuming that is all the herbs and liquids you boil for 10 minutes? Also, can these be safely pressure canned stored. Thank in advance.
    m you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, yes the brine is the boiled liquid. I've never tried to can eggs so unfortunately I don't know anything about that.

      Delete
  16. What is the spice u refer too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Google 'whole cloves', that will help.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  17. Made these about a month back and just had a couple for lunch today - these are eggcellent!!! And the onions are an incredible bonus and can’t wait to put them on tuna sandwiches, hamburgers, actually on anything! Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm just wondering, how would you make this without the sugar? My husband and I are both diabetic so we don't need all that sugar. Could this be somehow be turned into dill pickled rather than sweet pickled? Thanks! ��

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!