Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad

I just got my August 2013 Better Homes and Gardens Magazine and immediately pulled the page out to make this Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad! I don't know if they consider this a side or main dish but with the hearty amount of protein/eggs, I called it lunch! It is very tasty.
I love all the different bites, sometimes you get sweet, sometimes sour and it's a bit zesty...
I'll be making this again:@)

Deviled Egg Macaroni Pasta Salad-from BHG, Aug 2013
1/2 C thinly sliced red onion-I had yellow
1/4 C cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
8 oz large elbow macaroni
12 hard-cooked eggs
1/2 C mayonnaise
3 Tblsp Dijon mustard
2 Tblsp water-optional-I did not add this
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika-I only had regular
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 C chopped sweet pickles-I had Gherkins
1 1/2 C thinly sliced celery
  1. In small saucepan combine onion, vinegar and sugar. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool. Reserve liquid.
  2. Cook macaroni per box instructions or to desired doneness. Drain and cool under running cold water, drain well.
  3. Coarsely chop one egg, set aside.
  4. Halve the remaining eggs and pop yolks into large bowl. Coarsely chop the whites and set aside.
  5. For dressing: Mash yolks, add mayo, mustard and reserved vinegar mixture from pickled onions, mix well. Gradually stir in 2 Tblsp water (if using, I honestly don't know why they'd suggest this), salt, paprika and pepper, set aside.
  6. Add everything to the dressing bowl and gently mix well.
  7. Sprinkle with additional paprika and pepper.
  8. Serve at once or store covered in the fridge.
Notes:
  • This calls for a lot of celery which I personally love! The cool, crisp bites are refreshing in warm weather, my son, however, would not share my enthusiasm:@) Adjust to suit your crowd.
  • After I poured the vinegar into the dressing I did dice the pickled onions.
  • If you have leftover homemade Pickled Onions you can use them instead of making their quick ones (omit the first three ingredients of this recipe).
  • Salt is a personal thing, I felt it did need a little more.
  • Sweet pickles can be many things... I'll be adding my Bread and Butter Jalapenos next time.
  • Click HERE for "I promise you perfect" hard boiled eggs. It works folks, I've been making eggs like this for years and have only had one break while adding it to the pot.

29 comments:

  1. Looks great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deviled eggs would certainly kick up a macaroni salad a notch. Definitely a lunch for me.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often prepare potato salad with eggs in it, I think they call it Penn Dutch. However, I never remember to try deviled eggs in Macaroni Salad. I just may be saving this recipe to jog my memory!

    Thanks for sharing, Lynn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynn,

    This looks sooo good!! I love macaroni salad and I love deviled eggs, so it's a win-win situation. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe; I hope you have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn this combines two of my favorite things! Egg salad and pasta! Pinning this to make soon!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pasta salad is sometimes a complete meal for me. Hubby needs meat on the side but for me the pasta is very satisfying. This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a creamy salad with the mayo and egg, yet crunchy with the pickles. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks/sounds delicious, Lynn. Lovely recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! We love deviled eggs and macaroni salad. Combined? I bet it's to die for! Thanks for sharing... I'll be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually mooch off my mother's BHG magazine because I'm too cheap to get my own. I probably would have seen this one and wanted to try it. I'm so glad you were the guinea pig for me and gave it a thumb's up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How'd I miss this recipe in BHG? I'd call that lunch, too, with a good amount of protein. I'll be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, this sounds good, Lynn...very similar to the one my Mom used to make sans all the sweet pickles. I think our whole house preferred dill.

    "I'll be adding my Bread and Butter Jalapenos next time." Why does this not surprise me? LOL

    I will be making this one very, very soon....like TOMORROW!! Thanks a bunch for reminding me about it. I haven't have macaroni salad in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like something my husband would love! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love egg salad and with the pasta added this would be a great meatless dinner for us. I wish I had it made and sitting here for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks and sounds delicious...you do come up with the BEST recipes....ummmm....
    I'll serve a good crusty bread and butter and a great green salad with it.....yum
    Thanks, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I just LOVE deviled eggs, so this pasta salad sounds A-mazing!!
    Sounds like a perfect summer meal!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not an egg person but love deviled eggs...bet this is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks goooooooooooooooooooooood. I love BHG recipes! Visiting from Miz Helen's Country Cottage.
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks very good ! Thanks for sharing, our family likes almost any salad that includes boiled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh I saw this recipe, too, and thought it was a winner-- now seeing your dish I'm sure it is!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynn, I just saw this the other day, it looks like a great summertime lunch! I love celery too, my husband not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Have a great weekend and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just made it for lunch tomorrow and added bacon bits and pepperoni and, although it hadn't rested yet, it tastes amazing!!! And I only used half the eggs because I would kill my family if I used the entire dozen lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is even better tuna or chicken

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is even better tuna or chicken

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!