Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pumpkin Sheet Cake-9x13 Quarter Sheet Cake Size

On today's episode of The Pumpkin Palooza Pantry... There are things I just didn't grow up with that I really enjoy now, bar cookies and sheet cakes are at the top of the sweets list:@) My idea was to scale a cake down to a more manageable size for a small family, and this will help use up 1/2 C of leftover pumpkin too. This 9x13 Pumpkin Sheet Cake was adapted from King Arthur Flour and you can get the recipe for a larger cake by clicking the link. I'm guessing it would make about 6-8 nice cupcakes too if you'd rather go in that direction...
These little sheet cakes bake up so fast, mine was done in 15 minutes, and the cake stays so moist!
This was a big hit at Sunday dinner and while I sent a couple slices home with the kids, 
I don't mind telling you, I did make sure to save some for my morning coffee:@)

Pumpkin Sheet Cake, 9x13 Quarter Sheet Cake Size-adapted from King Arthur Flour
1/2 C vegetable oil-I used half oil, half sour cream
1/2 C brown sugar
1 Tblsp sugar-they call for 1/4 C
2 eggs
1/2 C pumpkin
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
*1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, or 3/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp each ginger, nutmeg and cloves
1 C A/P flour
1/4 C chopped walnuts, toasted-I didn't have any but would have loved them!
1/2 C raisins

Frosting-
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 Tbslp butter, softened
1 Tblsp maple syrup
1 1/4 C powdered sugar, sifted
pinch salt
1/2 C toasted walnuts for the top
  1. I added all of the cake ingredients to a bowl and mixed them up good. *I just shake in the spices to taste. You can click the link HERE to see specific instructions. 
  2. Grease a 9x13 sheet pan well-I used Crisco.
  3. Pour batter into sheet pan and spread out.
  4. Bake at 350 until done, start checking around 12 minutes, mine took 15.
  5. Cool and add frosting. Note: I didn't make this frosting (although it sounds great!), I just winged it with about 3oz cream cheese, 1 1/2 Tblsp butter, 1 C powdered sugar, splash of vanilla and just enough heavy cream to get it started.
Enjoy a seasonal treat and have a happy day:@)

I'm Joining:
The Scoop
Inspire Me Tuesday
Full Plate Thursday
Foodie Friday
Link Party Palooza

21 comments:

  1. Mmmm!!! Looks very tasty and the decoration is great with the different colors :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Lynn, This cake looks so good. The Fall look is perfect for now. Thanks for the recipe. I can do this. Smile.
    Have a great week.
    xo, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your pumpkin Palooza recipes are getting me in the Fall spirit. I like the idea of a smaller cake size when I do t have a crowd to fix for. Everything's better with cream cheese frosting! I'll bet you enjoyed a slice with your morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of maple syrup in the frosting!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy and the only way I'll eat pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking even before you said it that I thought it would be delicious with morning coffee. Great coffee minds clearly think alike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that was a fast and easy cake in 15 minutes and a great way to use left-over pumpkin. Good going.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake just says moist. I will be processing my own pumpkin this year and can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Lynn...you're KILLING my diet!!! LOL This looks sooo scrumptious...makes me want to brew a hot cuppa tea & sit down to a piece right now. I can't wait to make it. Somehow I don't think Ms. C. will eat it, but I'm sure the two boys will. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pumpkin and this sounds delicious. Does it freeze well? I live alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy, I didn't try to freeze it, we um... ate it all:@) But, it did keep well in the fridge covered in plastic wrap for three days if that helps!

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh it is pumpkin season again - that looks so good. You know you are going to have to put some type of print button on this! Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea for that quarter sized sheet cake, but I am still going to have to give some to the neighbors! I love your fall sprinkles on the frosting. I am such a sprinkle girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lynn, great idea to make a smaller recipe for a small family. The cake looks so yummy. Thank you for sharing and have a rgeat time.
    Best greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm wishing I had a slice this morning Lynn! I would definitely have to try that cream cheese frosting with maple syrup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to make this when all my kids are home (mainly so I don't eat it all myself!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Why is there always 1/2 a can of pumpkin leftover? I appreciate all your leftover pumpkin ideas! Cake, yes please!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lynn,
    What a great sheet cake, perfect for the season! Hope you are having a great weekend and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, I remember this now, the frost especially caught my eye! Pinning to try~
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!