Friday, March 3, 2017

Insalata Russa (Potato Salad with Cooked Carrots and Peas)-Stove Top or Instant Pot Pressure Cooker

I loved the large pieces of carrot and peas in this Insalata Russa! They helped turn potato salad into a more rounded vegetable side dish. This is a hearty salad with egg but then to take it one step further, I added some diced ham and called it lunch... And of course a little bacon sounds good too:@) I could taste the olive oil and vinegar, and this was really nice after it chilled for a few hours.
One note though, I do like onion and celery in potato salad... So before I left for work I chopped up a stalk of celery and added a quick dusting of onion powder. I think you'll like this colorful salad if you try it folks,with or without my additions.

Pressure Cooker Tip from Pressure Cooking Today: Add 1 1/2 C water to PC. Cut potatoes into approx 1/2-3/4" dice, carrots into 1/2" dice, place on steamer basket and add the eggs on top. Set PC for 4 minutes and use automatic release. As soon as you take the lid off toss the frozen peas, which have been sitting out at room temp, on top of the hot veggies as they cool. Place egg in ice water. Wa-la, everything cooked at one time in one pot-gotta love it:@)
I made half of the recipe.

Insalata Russa-from Food Network Magazine, March 2017
  1. Peel and cube 2 russet potatoes and 2 carrots, boil in salted water until tender, approx 8 minutes (Or use pressure cooker option above). Add frozen peas the last minute. Drain and cool.
  2. Toss with 2 chopped hard boiled eggs, 1/4 C mayonnaise, 1 Tblsp olive oil, 1 Tblsp white wine vinegar (I used red), 1 tsp Dijon mustard and S&P to taste.
Eat well and have a happy day:@)

5 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong adding extra veggies. Sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, cooking everything in the one pot...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the name, makes potato salad sound so fancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, four minutes in the pressure cooker! You can't beat that for a quick potato salad. I need to get out my pressure cooker and use that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of the ham to your potato salad for an easy & tasty lunch Lynn :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by-enjoy your day!